Friday, October 2, 2009

(inter)race to marriage

I searched "interracial dating" on google and got some interesting results. I can say that America has come a long way since the Civil Rights Era, but judging from my google results, there is no way we are out of the woods yet.

There is a very hostile attitude towards interracial dating. I heard a quote from a white dude in a video saying that if he saw a black guy with a white woman, he felt like the black guy was stealing her from the white guys. Oh, and the white guy prefaced that statement by saying he's not a racist.

Interesting.

There are those who have taken equality to a different level though too. For some, interracial dating is no biggie and i applaud those. They think nothing of it which is where i feel we should be.

My family would be close to the latter view, though i don't think they would think absolutely nothing of it. I'm sure my brothers would make non-hostile joking remarks, because thats what brothers are for. My parents have told me, that they would be o.k. with me bringing anyone of any race home and i sincerely believe that.

It seems though, that you can be racist without being hostile. Watch.



Michael has good intentions, but he has quite a few pre-conceived notions. I don't know how i feel about that. Will we ever be able to break free from those pre-conceived notions? Is that how it's supposed to be?

1 comment:

  1. I laughed at the clip. But his stereotypes, exaggerated here, point out that we don't realize some of our underlying prejudices. I remember once asking a black friend why he didn't sing in the church choir. My underlying reasoning was that all African Americans can sing well. I was dumb!

    ReplyDelete

Player of the Week - Scott Needham Taylor Ultimate - Youtube Video